Dwayne D. called the meeting to order at 7:40pm at LDFGA Youth Center.
Minutes: Presented minutes from June 25, 2019 meeting.
MOTION by Brian S., seconded Jeff F., to adopt minutes from June 25th meeting, carried.
MOTION by Larry C. to adopt financial report, seconded by Gerry R., carried.
Discussed AFGA emails regarding coordinators for the 2020 Conference, the Youth Pheasant program, and the AFGA Membership Incentive. Larry passed around a Thank You card from Viv Backer re: memory of Walt Backer.
Memberships – 1375 LDFGA, 662 Outdoor, 247 Indoor
Discussion regarding issues with online memberships.
MOTION by Carlo M. to temporarily suspend PayPal, in regards to the LDFGA website and online memberships, seconded by Brian S., carried.
Joanna K. to suspend PayPal account immediately.
Dwayne D. and Joanna K. will look into online payment options. Discussion regarding FOB distribution issues.
Fundraising – NR
Youth Outdoor Activity Day – NR
Indoor Range –Discussed if there is any interest in organizing a pistol event. Conveyor belting has been purchased and should arrive soon. Larry C. and Janelle M. will take care of the delivery of the belting.
Need a crew to tear down back wall and install conveyor belting. Will try to coordinate with Mark Fossett, who will clean and remove the spent lead at the same time or shortly after construction. This should be done before it gets too cold out.
Outdoor Range – Discussed water runoff issues that still need to be dealt with. Dwayne D. will pick a date to get this done. About a dozen volunteers needed to help clean this up. Dwayne D. will let Joanna K. know and she will send out an email to Outdoor Range members and post on website and Facebook. Gong needs to be set up as well.
The Outdoor Range bathroom is under construction. Larry C. and Garry C. are working on this however they will not be responsible for the ‘maintenance’, such as stocking toilet paper and keeping it clean. Discussed applying for the grant once the bathroom is complete.
The IPSC storage building is in place, it will need to be cleaned up and the electrical equipment removed. This needs to be done carefully as the electrical equipment needs to be returned. Talk to Randy Norbury to help with this. Another building up at the Indoor Range also needs to be cleaned. This building will be used for storage at the Indoor Range.
The Outdoor Range could use some weed eating done.
Keith B. asked about expanding the 50yd however we are at a max of 7 benches already so that cannot be done.
Conservation Camp –Pam R. updated on Narrow Lake AB camp. The barrier free bathroom is up and running. The next project will be the kitchen as it is in dire need of renovating and repair. It would be great to get more volunteers up there next year for the work bees. The facility was used a lot this year by many groups and organizations. PAL course was added to the BOW Camp this year.
LDFGA sent 4 youth to both Hannin Creek and Narrow Lake this year. Jayce Stewart was top camper in the Advanced Group at Narrow Lake and he was invited to come back next year as a counselor. This is the first time a LDFGA member has been a top participant in the Advance Group!
Donation from 2019 AHA Shed Hunting Contest, of $1600, will to go towards sending youth to camp in 2020. A big thank you to Hutley Sheppard for running the contest. Larry C. will do a write up, about the contest and donation, and Joanna K. will post it on the LDFGA Website and Facebook group. It was discussed that it would be great if Hutley S. could set up a display at the 2020 Banquet.
Merchandise – NR
Habitat/Gordon Leslie Project –NR
Hide Program –NR
Trout Ponds – Discussed the west trout pond. Garbage bin built by Bea Fischer was installed and anchored to the ground. Blythe Vacuum donated a portable toilet. Garry C. had the sign built according to the specifications laid out by the AB Government. The sign will need to be installed. Update on McDougall Pond. Janelle M. and Keith B. did some cleanup out there and made a path to the North end. Metal Fence posts need to be installed and fence put up. Metal for the bathroom needs to be installed as well. Larry C. discussed building a little bridge for the walkway.
Trophies – NR
Gun and Outdoor Sportsman Show– Still in need of a volunteer, or more, to take over the Chairperson position of the Gun and Outdoor Sportsman Show. Rooms have been booked for vendors at the Best Western Plus by Dwayne D. Committee Meeting will take place on September 5, 2019 at 7:30pm at the Youth Center. Anyone who is interested in helping out is encouraged to attend.
Archery Club / Youth Center – Regular indoor shoot nights are back up and running. Youth programs will start in November. Erin McGladdery won the Ladies Triple Crown as well as the Ladies Pro Division IBO Championship.
Banquet – Banquet Planning Meeting will be on September 10, 2019 at 7:30pm at the Youth Center. Volunteers are needed. Anyone interested in helping out is encouraged to attend. Discussion regarding the format for the program change for this year.
Fish Fry –NR
Bills to be Paid:
MOTION by Joanna K. to pay outstanding bills, seconded by Brian S., carried.
- Gerald J. would like to donate a rifle to the LDFGA to raffle off. Raffle license will be required. Hoping to do the draw at the banquet.
- Foster Property is complete until winter when buildings can be burnt. Burn piles to be cleaned up the following spring.
- Fish Hooks are available for sale. Larry C. to get pricing. Deadline for the club to order more hooks at the same cost is end of October.
- LAA sign is not happening as the SK Government will not approve it for the HWY.
- Discussed SWF Interviews that took place re: CWD and Game Farms.
- Project Mapleseed was another successful event. The weather was great and the attendees learned a lot. There was only one no show.
- Black Badge Course went over really well. Dwayne D. has been in contact with other members that are interested in IPSC and getting their Black Badge so another course may be in the future.
- Tyler V., Jeff F., Keith B., and Janelle M. presented the idea of hosting a CCFR shooting event for families at the LDFGA Indoor Range. Wildside Outdoors would donate ammunition. Firearms would be provided for use. Discussed the insurance aspect of this. An orientation and safety discussion would need to happen before any shooting took place. There would be no fee to attend. Janelle M. thought having another non-profit organization out to host a BBQ at the same time might be a good idea. RSOs would have to be involved, with ideally one per bay. Event format to be presented at the September 24, 2019 meeting. Advertising to be done on website and Facebook and possibly posters.
MOTION by Brian S., for the LDFGA to host a gun safety and shooting event in conjunction with CCFR at the LDFGA Indoor Range at the beginning of October with a final date to be determined, seconded by Janelle M., carried.
- Notice of motion by Larry C.
MOTION by Larry C., that Joanna K.’s wage be raised from $20 to $25 per hour effective November 1, 2019, seconded by Gerry R., carried.
- Discussion regarding the recent suspensions from the LDFGA Outdoor Range.
MOTION for adjournment by Janelle M.
Members present at meeting: Dwayne D., Larry C., Jeff F., Brian S., Joanna K., Gerry R., Pam R., Tyler V., Janelle M., Keith B., Carlo M., and Mike H.
LDFGA Meeting September 24, 2019 7:30 PM LDFGA YOUTH CENTER