Dwayne D. called the meeting to order at 7:35pm at Grace United Church.


Minutes: Presented minutes from February 26, 2019 meeting.

MOTION by Brian S., seconded Andrew N., to adopt minutes from February 26 meeting, carried.


Financial Report:

MOTION by Larry C. to adopt financial report, seconded by Brian H., carried.



Discussed memo from AFGA regarding the Metis Hunting Regulations.

SWF February memo is available to read on the website. The 2019 SWF Gold Tournament was discussed. If anyone is interested in going please contact Dwayne D. Dwayne discussed the updates done at Hannin Creek.

MOTION by Larry C. to donate $500 to SWF for the 2019 Golf Tournament, seconded by Brian S., carried.

Henry Kelsey Awards will be on April 13, 2019 in Macklin. The new world record Mule Deer will be there for viewing.

Larry C. read SWF thank you letter regarding donations from LDFGA.

Reviewed items on AFGA newsletter including a Trail Cam Contest on Facebook. The AFGA Wildlife Awards will be presented on April 27, 2019. The dates for BOW are July 9-13 and July 23-27.


Committee Reports:


Memberships 1008 LDFGA, 450 Outdoor, 191 Indoor

Dwayne D. discussed membership issues.


Youth Outdoor Activity DayDwayne contacted Len Thompson lures with the LDFGA logo and is just waiting for the proof and pricing. Letter requesting bus service was sent by Larry C. Discussed inviting the Advanced Camp attendees to help out on the Youth Day. A volunteer to take on the Archery portion is still needed.

Indoor Range Brian H. updated on RSOs. RSO course will be on April 28, 2019 at the LDFGA Indoor Range. It will be an all-day event starting at 9am. The cost to take the course is $100. For more information contact Darwin G.

Dwayne discussed possibly hosting another event at the range.

Outdoor Range Discussion about the jobs that need to be done at the range, once it dries up a bit, including water runoff that will need to be addressed.

Conservation CampLarry C updated. There are 4 attending the Advanced Camp in AB and 1 to SK Camp. We have sent in applications for 3 more to possibly attend SK. Discussed the possibility of the Rotary sponsorship. Larry C. mentioned that SK is possibly opening up a 2nd camp for girls.

Scholarships-   NR

MerchandiseWayne B. to count fish hooks.

Habitat/Gordon Leslie ProjectNR

Hide ProgramNR

Trout Ponds NR

TrophiesDiscussion regarding Ian P. writing exam for Henry Kelsey.

Gun and Outdoor Sportsman Show–   Financial update presented by Larry C.

Archery Club / Youth Center Archery Club has increased their social media presence and has offered more 3D shoots which have had great attendance. Programs continue until mid-April followed by Provincials.

Banquet Dwayne discussed the need for more volunteers to help with banquet committees and went through the main points that were discussed at the March 11, 2019 Banquet Committee meeting.

The possible new program order is as follows:

– Appetizers/Cocktails

– Supper

– Conservation Camp/Scholarships

– Wildlife Awards Presentation

– Break

– Entertainment

– Raffles/Live Auction

Discussion regarding the Awards Presentation and getting a backdrop made to have for photos. Reminder to get meat donations in sooner. CWD testing must be done on all meat that is donated. Dwayne mentioned possibly rotating vendors every couple of years. Larry C. updated on the financials of the 2019 Banquet.

Fish Fry – John P. updated. Tickets are over 50% sold. Volunteers are needed for morning set up and evening prep. Gerald J. volunteered to help with morning set up. Dwayne D., Jeff and Gail F., Larry C., Brian S. and Gary C. for evening prep. Posters are up. Discussed possibly advertising in the Morning News and the Weekly Bean.


Bills to be Paid:

MOTION by Larry C. to pay outstanding bills, seconded by Jeff F., carried.


Old Business:

  1. Andrew N. updated on Project Mapleseed. Date has been set for Wednesday July 10, 2019 from 8am-5pm. There is room for approximately 16 participants. Joanna K. will put on the website that the range will be closed on July 9th at 7pm and all day on July 10th. Volunteers will be needed to help set up targets on the evening of July 9th.
  2. IPSC subcommittee meeting update. Dwayne D. discussed possibly getting a used seacan for storage. Randy will update at the next meeting.
  3. AHA Shed Hunting contest update.
  4. Dwayne D. sent an email to follow up with Shooting Federation of Canada to ask for a phone discussion.
  5. AFGA Narrow Lake work bees are set for the first weekend in May and June.
  6. Dwayne is hosting a GPS Course on April 27, 2019 at the Youth Centre. It will be approximately 5-6 hours in length. Ian P, Larry C. and possibly Gary C. are interested in attending. If you are interested or would like more information please contact Dwayne D.




New Business:

  1. SWF Spring Meeting will be held on April 14th in Macklin. Larry C., Gary C. and possibly Ian P. and Brian S. to attend.

2 AFGA Spring Meeting will be held on April 13th in Mundare. Dwayne D. and possibly Gary C. to attend.

  1. Discussed work bee for Foster Property clean up. Possible date of May 11th. Ian P. gave Dwayne D. contact for demolition guy. Discussed possibly contacting local Fire Departments for a trained burn.
  2. Discussion regarding the Trespass Law which comes into action in May.
  3. Dwayne D. discussed Exsile Outdoors discount for LDFGA members. Dwayne D. will forward the email to Joanna K. so that she can pass the information onto the membership.
  4. Larry C. discussed application for grant from RM of Wilton for an outdoor washroom at the range. Estimated cost of $4000-$5000.


MOTION to adjourn by Andrew N.




Since no funeral was held, it is important to note that Walt Backer, a long-time director and life member of the Lloydminster & District Fish & Game Assoc. passed away March 18, 2019 at the age of 91.


Walt was an avid hunter and fisherman; and his love of wildlife, nature, and our youth has played a major role in his philosophy of life.  Walt was an active director of the Lloydminster Fish and Game for over 30 years and could be counted on volunteering for any job needing to be done.  He took care of our trout pond for many years; initiated the Outdoor Skills component of the Youth Fun Day; build dozens of bird feeders and houses for habitat; helped with bingos, banquets, Gordon Leslie Conservation Area, Peck Lake Walleye Rearing Pond and the Peck Lake bridge project, Kenilworth Goose Nesting Project, and live stocking of Bear Lake.


Upon retiring from the executive in 2006, he posted this conservation message at our banquet which illustrates his philosophy:

“As grandparents, parents, and guardians, we must explain to our youth the necessity to conserve our wildlife – namely animals, birds, and fish.  We must teach our youth the safe and legal skills of hunting and fishing.  We should discuss issues with youth relating to our environment; and animal, bird, and fish behavior so that they understand what it means for us to balance our activities with those of Mother Nature.”  He will be missed.


Walt was awarded LDFGA Life Membership and, as such, a plaque will be placed in his memory on the Cairn on LDFGA property.  This event will take place when convenient with family members.

(Submitted by Larry Chambers who took a card and peace lily plant to Viv and family on behalf of the club.)



Members present at meeting: Dwayne D., Joanna K., Brian S., Ab E., Gerald J., Wayne B., Ian P., Larry C., Andrew N., Reid B., Jeff F., Brian H. and John P.


LDFGA Meeting                  April 30, 2019                  7:30 PM               LDFGA YOUTH CENTER