Dwayne D. called the meeting to order at 7:40pm at Grace United Church.

Minutes: Presented minutes from January 29, 2019 meeting.

MOTION by Bill A., seconded Daryl L., to adopt minutes from January 29 meeting, carried.

Financial Report:                                           

MOTION by Larry C. to adopt financial report, seconded by Gerald J., carried.


For information regarding the Henry Kelsey Awards please contact SWF Head Office at 306-692-8812.

AFGA Raffle tickets are on sale now, please contact Dwayne D. for more information.

Discussed letter from SACO (Saskatchewan Association of Conservation Officers) regarding sponsorship for their convention in April in Meadow Lake.

MOTION by Bill A. to sponsor the same dollar amount as last year’s sponsorship for the SACO Convention, seconded by Carlo M., carried.

2019 AHA Shed Hunting contest was discussed. There are approx. 78 people signed up. It is $10/person to participate and the proceeds will be donated to sending LDFGA youth members to Provincial Conservation Camps.

Shooting Federation of Canada requested the LDFGA range info to be listed on their website. Dwayne D. will look further into this.

Andrew N. discussed correspondence regarding the Canadian Rimfire Precision Series. It was decided that this type of shooting event does not suit our range. We will go forward with hosting another one day Project Mapleseed event this summer, preferably July. Andrew N. will get more information and proceed with this.

Andrew also read a thank you letter from Project Mapleseed to the LDFGA for supporting them.

An AFGA branch contacted Dwayne D. through the AFSS (Alberta Federation of Shooting Sports) regarding details and direction on how to run their first Gun Show.

Committee Reports:

Memberships – 963 LDFGA, 430 Outdoor, 179 Indoor

Curtis Paterson is stepping down from the Membership Chair position. The LDFGA Executive is looking for a volunteer to take over this position. Joanna K. will fill these duties until a volunteer can take over.

Discussion regarding a ‘Membership Drive’ on Social Media. Joanna K. and Dwayne D. will make a list of benefits to an LDFGA Membership and will create an advertisement to use on Facebook, Instagram and the LDFGA Website.

Fundraising – NR

Youth Outdoor Activity Day – Joanna K. updated information and forms on the website. Promotion for Youth Activity Day should be held off until the end of March. Larry C. will write up a letter for requesting bussing services. Bill A. discussed possibly ordering some customized Len Thompson 90th Anniversary fish hooks as souvenirs for participants and thank you gifts for volunteers. Dwayne D. will look into this further. The compasses are still coming but we could hold off on using them until 2020. Dwayne D. talked with LAA regarding needing someone for the Archery portion of the day.

Indoor Range – Discussion regarding the need for more RSOs to open the range and the possibility of having a schedule. Curtis P. and Brian H. will contact the RSOs and look further into this. 

Outdoor Range – Not a lot of activity due to weather. Snow was plowed recently however the walkway needs to be shovelled. Members using the range do not appear to be taking the initiative. Shovels are there. Once the range dries up a bit, the back end of the 260yd will need to be completed.

Conservation Camp – Joanna K. sent out the letters to LDFGA youth members, there were 70 letters sent. March 20th is the deadline for applications. A quick discussion regarding the Youth Leadership Program by SWF- applications should be sent in by December.

Scholarships-   Discussed the request for change of application deadline date (to have awards be presented in conjunction with Graduation). Bill A. recommended that we continue the way it has been done in the past.

Merchandise – Discussed leftover hooks, pencils and pads from when LDFGA held the convention.

Habitat/Gordon Leslie Project –NR

Hide Program –No program this year.

Trout Ponds – NR

Trophies – Ab. E gave a quick update.

Gun and Outdoor Sportsman Show-   Financial update will be done at the March 26, 2019 meeting.

Archery Club / Youth Center – Brian S. updated on 3D fun shoot and shoot for Canadian Archery. He mentioned that drop ins have increased in number.

Banquet – Banquet committee meeting will be held on Monday March 11, 2019 at 7:30pm at Joanna K. house. Bill A. updated that he presented the bartenders with their thank you cards/gift cards.

Fish Fry – Tickets/posters are printed and John P. is distributing them to the gun shops. Fish has been ordered. Bill A. will not be at the March meeting.

Bills to be Paid:

MOTION by Wayne B. to pay outstanding bills, seconded by Brian S., carried.

Old Business:

1. Dwayne D. sent Henry Kelsey letter in support of Ian P. to become Official HK Measurer

2. Dwayne D. has called an IPSC Committee meeting for March 7, 2019 at 7:30pm at the Youth Centre. This meeting is to provide direction for the work required to start things rolling in the spring. Please let Dwayne know if you are able to attend.

New Business:

1. Carlo M. discussed applying for funding, through the Border City Rotary Club, for sending youth members to provincial conservation camps. Discussion regarding SWF wanting to possibly add another week of camp. Funding could possibly go towards helping make that happen. If funding was approved and not used it can be deferred to the following year (this can be done for up to 3 years) or given back to the Border City Rotary Club. Larry C. mentioned having a committee that would take care of funding proposals and anything else to do with funding. Carlo M, Dwayne D., Larry C. and Ian P. would be interested in being on this committee.

2. Plaques were presented to the LDFGA at the SWF Convention in recognition of donations in excess of $130,000 to Habitat Trust and $50,000 to SWF Programs. These plaques will be hung in the LDFGA Youth Centre.

3. Dwayne D. and Larry C. updated on SWF Convention. Some of the topics discussed were CWD, NASP Program, Moose populations, the Trespass Law and Fisheries. Dwayne D. read through some of the resolutions. The 2021 SWF Convention is set to be held in Saskatoon through the Bridge City Branch.

4. Davan R. and Gerry R. updated on AFGA Convention. Some of the topics discussed included CWD, a lack members in the 20-30 age group, AB Habitat and the new AFGA Executive. Davin also mentioned that the Narrow Lake work bees will be the first week of May and June.

5. SWF Spring meeting will be held on April 14, 2019. Dwayne D. will confirm this date and the location.

AFGA Spring meeting will be held on April 13, 2019 in Lamont.

6. Dwayne D. would like to teach a GPS Course in April. It would be open to LDFGA members.

MOTION to adjourn by Curtis P.

Members present at meeting: Dwayne D., Joanna K., Bill A., Brian S., Ab E., Gerry R., Davan R., Curtis P., Gerald J., Wayne B., Daryl L., Ian P., Larry C., Loren P., Andrew N. and Carlo M.

LDFGA Meeting                  March 26, 2019                             7:30 PM               GRACE UNITED CHURCH